The strange, mysterious streets of the Paharganj have a distinctive appeal to them. A second home for foreign tourists, it is popular as a favorite destination of the backpackers.
is perhaps the first market place that greets the visitors coming from the New Delhi Railway Station.
Shoppers have an incentive in the form of bargain discounts, to brave the dusty streets and chaos. It is a mini world in itself, selling almost everything under the sun. The market presents ample of reasons for it to feature in a "must visit" category.
The place is thronged by expats, tourists, hippies, all round the year, who turn up to this place in a bid to find affordable and budget hotels. Interestingly, many of the tourists sell their books to the local shopkeepers, who in turn resell these books, at discounted prices.
One can expect to find an eclectic variety of books huddled up in some corner of a café, restaurant and scantily in organized bookshops. Apart from books, one can spot music shops selling CDs of every genre, from Bob Marley to Jagjit Singh.
Bright colored embroidered bags, vibrant cushion covers, bed covers, handloom and handcrafted articles including statues of Indian deities, beautiful brass ware articles, etc. can be found. Stoles, scarves, pendants, rings, retro style bandanas, are also available.
The market is also famous for its silver jewelry, stock of which is also exported. Shops also sell "hookahs", which is favored by the visitors. Shoe shops, trendy and low priced footwear dominate the rest of the market.
As the sun sets, the market matures into a desi version of any perky street in Las Vegas. One can see sign boards of various guesthouses and hotels in Paharganj New Delhi, from a distance, flashing "Bar", "AC Hotel', "Deluxe Hotel' in different lights, amidst the darkness of night.
What and Where to Eat -
- The restaurants, bars and cafés have International cuisine to offer. American, European cuisine and delectable food items can be had at inexpensive prices.
- Ask college students, where else than in Paharganj, will beer be so easily available and that too at modest prices! Check out the local bar cum restaurants here. My Bar is a hit with visitors.
- Cafes like Sam's Café (1534-1550, main bazaar), Madan Café, Kitchen Café offer a wholesome breakfast menu from enchiladas, scrambled eggs, avocado salad to other multi cuisine dishes.
- Check out Sonu Chat House (5045-5046, main bazaar) for delicious snacks. Binge on food with a twist like chocolate banana dosa, egg dosa,cheese dosa, which is their specialty.
- Head to Diamond restaurant for tasty pasta and other dishes. Servings are generous.
Bargain and loads of bargain is the mantra for smart shopping here.How to Reach:
Nearest metro station is New Delhi (Yellow Line). Take a rickshaw and head towards the Desh Bandhu Gupta road and cross the bridge over railway tracks to reach here. The market is located on the road opposite to the New Delhi Railway Station.Closed: