National Science CentreScience experiments are really very amazing. Knowingly or unknowingly everyone use science in their day to day life.
Science center in Delhi was established back in 1992 and has many of the live experiment performing facility for visitors.
Gallery 1: Science and Technology Heritage GalleryShowcasing 106 amazing exhibits exhibited in an area of 930sq.mtr in the building of National Science Centre Delhi. This gallery is located on the third floor of the building.
Gallery 2: Human BiologyHuman biology gallery is located on fourth floor of the National Science Centre Museum building. It houses 118 interactive exhibits spread in an area of 1724 sq mtr.
Gallery 3: Pre Historic Life GalleryThis gallery covers an area of about 960 sq mtr where 48 exhibits are placed. The species are placed in artificial ambience with proper light and sound effects.
Gallery 4: Fun Science GalleryThis section is based on the technique of KISMIF-keep it simple, make it fun.
Gallery 5: Information Revolution GalleryThis section will help you know about the communication technology used over 6000 years.
Gallery 6: Emerging Technologies GalleryThe 66 exhibits placed in an area of 845 sq mtr reflect the changes in the world of technology. There has been a revolution in the world of technology, be it in the field of Space technology, Information and communication Technology, Oceanography, Material Science, Nanotechnology, Medical and Biotechnology, Agriculture technology.
Gallery 7: Water- The Elixir of LifeThe climatic changes that occur due to human activities have affected the water reservoirs too. The gallery displays 34 interactive exhibits on availability of water.
Facilities at National Science Museum
- Auditorium – A fully air conditioned auditorium with a seating capacity of 320 with audio-video equipment, and projector facility.
- Conference Halls – There are 3 sections in the conference hall with temporary folding partitions with the sitting capacity of 28, 16 and 12.
- Parking - Parking facility with a capacity of 30 cars and 30 two wheelers.
Tourist Attraction at National Science Centre
The main tourist attraction here also involves the indoor and outdoor activities that take place. Community programs, creative ability camp, environmental awareness programs, Film shows, Nature study camps, Popular science lectures, Science camp/fair, Science Demonstration Lecture, Science Quiz, Science Seminar, Science Shows, Sky observation Camp, Taramandal shows, Teacher training program, Vacation hobby program.
The other attractions are-
- Life size robot of Tyrannosaurus Rex or the T-Rex is quite real like and is very popular among children.
- The section " Where do you feel comfortable" urges one to make a comparison of two seats. One with nails arranged closely to form a plain surface like a chair, the other one with nails arranged to form semi circular balls to make a seat. As the surface area of the chair is larger, contradictorily, chair is more comfortable.
- Bernoulli's principle is depicted by he " Floating Ball" exhibit.
- Souvenirs like key chains, chinaware, t-shirts can be purchased.
- Exihibits like "Chaos", "Impossible mixture", " Identify the magnet", " Energy Balls" are very famous.
- The Taramandal organizes shows to promote elementary astronomy. It contains an inflatable dome and projection equipments.
- 250 video cassettes and CDs are present on various science related topics for Film Shows.
- Eminent scientists are invited for lectures at the centre. Prof. C N R Rao, Nobel laureate Sir Paul Nurse, Sir Alec Jafery have delivered informative lectures in the past.
- A big Library in the complex is a storehouse of numerous books on science.
Contact Details:National Science Centre (National Council of Science Museums), Ministry of Culture Near Gate No. 1, Pragati Maidan, Bhairon Road, New Delhi – 110001, India
Phone No.: 074286 93710
Timings:Visit Timings: 10am - 5.30pm
Open: All days except Holi and Diwali
How to Reach:
- Nearest metro station: Pragati maidan
- One can take an autorickshaw or opt for a local bus like that of route no. 436, 871, 355, 405, 393, etc to reach in about 10 minutes.