Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD)The Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) provides civic services to more than 11 million people in the capital city of India. It covers an area of 1,397.3 sq. km. MCD is among the largest municipal bodies in the world. The Municipal Corporation of Delhi governs 8 of the 9 Districts of Delhi.
Some of the most densely populated areas in the world are within its jurisdiction. MCD also has the unique distinction of providing civic services to rural and urban villages, regularised unauthorized colonies, resettlement colonies, private 'katras' , Slum/Squatter Settlements, etc.
On the 7th of April, 1958 under and Act of Parliament, MCD came into existence. Prominent freedom fighter Guru Radha Kishan served as the councilor of Municipal Corporation of Delhi for the most number of consecutive years.
The Municipal Corporation of Delhi for introducing the online system of property tax payment received the best Government Initiative Award. E-India at the International Conference on Digital Learning, Delhi gave the award to Municipal Corporation of Delhi.
MCD ZonesFollowing are the 12 MCD zones
- Karol Bagh
- Sadar Paharganj
- West Delhi
- Civil Lines
- Shahdara South
- Shahdara North
Trifurcation of MCDThe Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) has been trifurcated recently. Following are the three corporations formed recently.
North Delhi Municipal Corporation includes districts of North Delhi, North West Delhi, Central Delhi.
South Delhi Municipal Corporation includes districts of South Delhi, South West Delhi, West Delhi, (excluding Delhi Cantt).
East Delhi Municipal Corporation includes districts of North East Delhi, East Delhi.
MCD DepartmentsFollowing are the Departments under Delhi Municipal Corporation
- Accounts & Finance Department
- Advertisement Department
- Department of Architecture
- Appellate Authority Department
- Department of Central Establishment
- Committee and Corporation Department
- Community ServicesDepartment
- Department of DEMS
- Directorate of Inquiry Department
- Department Directorate of Press and Information
- Education Department
- Election Office
- Department of Engineering
- Factory Licensing Department
- Hackney Carriage Department
- Health Department
- Horticulture Department
- Department of Information Technology
- Department of Labour Welfare
- Land and Estate Department
- Law Department
- Department of Licensing
- Municipal Secretary Office
- Organisation & Method Department
- Outdoor Advertisement Department
- Planning and Monitoring Department
- Department of Press and Information
- Printing and Stationery Department
- Property Tax Department
- Remunerative Project Cell
- Statutory Audit Department of
- Toll Tax Department
- Department of Town Planning
- Veterinary Department
Delhi Municipal Corporation Act of 1957
- The Delhi Municipal Corporation act mainly gives stress on sanitation and public health. It urges cleanliness of public urinals, latrines, and cesspools.
- This Act also gives power to the Commissioner to demolish any congested building unfit for human habitation or may give notice to get it improved.
- Municipal Health Officer must be informed by the medical practitioners in case of the patient is suffering from any dangerous disease which may be dangerous to the public or other individuals.
- The parents within 21 days of birth of a child must inform the chief registrar. In the same way death of a person must be also registered and it is the duty of any nearest relative to inform about the death to the chief registrar. It is the duty of medical officer in charge of the hospital to inform within 24 hours if the death or birth as occurred in hospital.
- This Act also states that no person shall cause nuisances like storing rubbish, disposing,filth, cowdung, polluted matter, or nightsoil, burning corpse, open defecating beating drum, screaming, singing, or shouting, using loudspeaker, using amplifier, letting loose any animal that can cause injury, or net preventing the child (12 yrs) to ease himself in any public street or public place.
Address of MCD:
Municipal Corporation of Delhi
Dr. S.P.M. Civic Centre, Minto Road
New Delhi – 100 002