Districts of Delhi
District Divisions of Delhi
These nine districts came into being from January 1997. Before that, Delhi used to have only one district for the entire Delhi with its headquarters in Tis-Hazari. Districts along with their headquarters and sub divisions:
Central Delhi District
Sub divisions: Pahar Ganj, Karol Bagh and Daryaganj
North Delhi District
Headquarters: Sadar Bazar
Sub divisions: Sadar Bazar, Kotwali & Civil Lines
South Delhi District
Sub divisions: Kalkaji, Defence Colony & Hauz Khas
East Delhi District
Headquarters: Preet Vihar
Sub divisions: Preet Vihar, Vivek Vihar and Gandhi Nagar
North East Delhi District
Sub divisions: Seelampur, Shahdara & Seema Puri
South West Delhi District
Sub divisions: Vasant Vihar, Najafgarh & Delhi Cantontment
Headquarters: Connaught Place
Sub divisions: Connaught Place, Parliament Street & Chanakya Puri
North West Delhi District
Sub divisions: Saraswati Vihar, Narela & Model Town
West Delhi District
Headquarters: Rajouri Garden
Sub divisions: Patel Nagar, Punjabi Bagh & Dwarka
Districts Organizational Setup in Delhi
The districts are headed by Deputy Commissioner in addition to an Additional District Magistrate, Sub Divisional Magistrates, Tehsildars and Sub-Registrar under the Commissioner. The administration of the district performs activities on various fields of administrative, judiciary and other areas of work. It also performs relief and rehabilitations works, election conduction, and activities relating to land acquisition. The Delhi District Administration can be said to be the de-facto enforcement department all government policies. It has supervisory powers over all functionaries of the Government.
District Administration Functions in Delhi
Some of the functions under different branches of the Delhi District Administration include:
- The Delhi District Administration carries out revenue functions like land record maintenance, supervision and evaluation of revenue cases, settlement activities and also acts as a custodian for public land property. According to revenue laws of Delhi, the Deputy Commissioners and the Additional District Magistrates act as collectors and additional collectors respectively. The Assistant Collector posts are designated to the Sub Divisional Magistrates and are primarily responsible for regular revenue duties.
- The district administration also oversees various certificate issuing and registration work like property documents registration, share certificates and other certification work. The sub divisional magistrates are authorized to issue statutory certificates like the SC/ST certificate, OBC certificate and Nationality certificate among others.
- The Commissioners and Magistrates of Delhi District Administration work as election officers and other election profiles during the time of elections. The deputy commissioners work as district election officers for the parliamentary constituencies and the additional district magistrates as returning officers of assembly constituencies. The sub divisional magistrates’ act as electoral registration officers of the voters list and the respective district officers supervises the conduction of Lok Sabha and Assembly elections. The district administration as a whole is primarily responsible for the overall supervision of the elections.
- The magistrates and commissioners of Delhi district administration are responsible for maintaining and controlling preventive section rules of code and criminal procedure. They also supervise cases of unnatural women deaths occurred within seven years of marriage. In these cases, they are also entitled to provide directions to the police regarding the case registration. They exercise Executive Magistrates powers and as such are also actively involved in conduct enquires into different cases relating to major accidents and deaths in police stations.
- Under the Special Marriage Act and Hindu Marriage Act, the commissioners and magistrates are entitled the powers of registrars of marriage wherein they direct and supervise the registration of marriages.
- The department of relief and rehabilitation is solely responsible for providing relief and rehabilitation services to people during natural and man-made calamities. They are also responsible for providing disaster management training and education to the common people and conducting awareness programmes for the public. The department also maintain and supervise immigrant camps.
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 0