Delhi Cantonment Board and NDMCThe Delhi Cantonment Board is one of the local bodies of Delhi which was established in the year 1914. The Delhi Cantonment Board, earlier known as Cantt Authority was created under the Ministry of Defense and is controlled by Cantonments Act of 1960. The head office of the board is located in the Sadar Bazaar area within the geographical area of around 10, 500 acres.
The board comprises of eight members including three nominated military members, three ex- officio members namely garrison engineer, senior executive medical officer and the station commander, one district magistrate representative and an officer from Indian Defence Estate Services. The elected members term is for five years and the vice president of the board is selected from among the elected members. The Delhi Cantonment Board is supervised by the President Cantonment Board.
The main function of the Delhi Cantonment Board is to look after proper delivery of civic services to the public. These services include water supply, education, roads, birth and death registrations, public health, street lightning and fire fighting. The services of Delhi Cantonment Board is continuously engaged in improving the quality of its services to the citizens. The board is divided into seven wards. The functions and rules of the Delhi Cantonment Board are laid down by the Cantonment Act. The Delhi Cantonment Board works in coordination with New Delhi Municipal Council.
For information on Delhi Cantonment Board click here
New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC)
With an objective of “A Model Well-Planned Metropolitan City", the New Delhi Municipal Council is constantly involved in providing better civic services to its citizens and also the masses from nation and abroad. The continuous efforts are made by NDMC with the Public Private Participation model (PPP) to ensure better quality of social and communal welfare facilities. With time, more emphasis is laid on promotion of art and culture, environmental improvement, cleaning and greening campaigns by the NDMC.
Before attaining the present structure the Council had undergone various changes in its structure from time to time. The history of its establishment goes back to 1911, when the then Imperial Government decided to shift capital of India from the then Calcutta (now called as Kolkata) to Delhi.
Earlier it was called Raisina Municipal Committee, but later in 1932 it was changed into New Delhi Muncipal Committee (NDMC). The major initiative of this committee has been making Delhi free from Nallas by introducing underground sewer system in whole of its area. There were number of open nallas which were regarded as the main source of generating malaria. All such nallas have been covered and public utility services have been constructed on them.
The NDMC was under the control of an administrator till an Act was passed in May 1994, after it was superseded in February 1980. On May 1994 the Punjab Municipal Act 1911 was replaced and the committee was named as New Delhi Municipal Council. The act was endorsed by the Parliament and a Special Officer was appointed by the Central government under section 418 of NDMC Act 1994.
For further information about functioning of NDMC, click here
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 0