Dengue and Chikungunya Outbreak in DelhiThe address for mosquitoes, whether Aedes or Anopheles, these days is now the capital of India, Delhi. They seem to have fallen in love with the city so much that they are multiplying every single day.
Dengue - Symptoms and Treatment Dengue is transmitted through a female Aedes mosquito and from the infected person to another in case of blood transfusion.
Signs that you should look forward to:
- Sudden and high fever
- Muscle and joint pain
- Severe headache
- Skin rash which is usually visible after 2 to 5 days
TreatmentThough there is no specific treatment for dengue fever and you can have paracetamol if high fever persists, You need to immediately consult your doctor first. Strictly avoid medicines like aspirin as it could worsen the bleeding. Drink lots of liquid.
Chikungunya - Symptoms and TreatmentChikungunya is also caused by Aedes mosquito and people are crippled by severe joint pain.
- Symptoms usually surface after 3-4 days of fever
- Mild to high fever
- Headache and muscle and joint pain
- The joint pain persists for months even after you are cured from other symptoms
- Take ample rest and keep yourself hydrated by drinking lots of liquid
- Take only paracetamol and no aspirin
- Wear Clothes that cover most of your body parts
- Apply mosquito repellent creams
- Ensure there is no water stagnation in your house or neighbourhood
- Living area and surroundings should be clean and hygienic
- Do not allow water to stagnate
- Use mosquito nets if possible
Home Made Mosquito Repellent Remedies
Coffee GroundsThe most simple way of repeling mosquitoes is coffee grounds. All you need to do is simply sprinkle coffee grounds wherever you find stagnant water near your house. The mosquito eggs will be forced to come to the surface water.
GarlicCrush a few pieces of garlic and boil them in water for some time. Pour the homemade mosquito repellent in a spray bottle and sprinkle it in the room. This will kill mosquitoes.
Holy BasilHoly basil leaves can kill mosquito larvae. Just plant a holy basil at the entry points to keep mosquitoes at bay.
Dengue Helpline Numbers in DelhiDengue Help Center Numbers and for further query and help, contact the MCD Dengue Helpline Centre at https://mcdonline.gov.in/tri/sdmc_mcdportal/denguehelpcenter.php
Steps Undertaken by the Delhi Government to Fight Dengue and Chikungunya
- All hospitals and nursing homes have been allowed to increase beds strength by 10-20% for three months to deal with Dengue and chikungunya cases
- The Increased beds will only be used for admitting fever and Dengue patients and no hospital can deny admission to patients suffering from dengue or chikungunya
- Private labs cannot overcharge for dengue or chikungunya tests. The price of the confirmatory for Chikungunya – RT-PCR (Reverse Transcryptase–Polymerase Chain Reaction) test has been capped at Rs 1,500 at all public and private labs. The price for confirmatory test for Dengue – NS1 Elisa-based antigen test is capped at Rs 650.
- The sale of platelet restricting drugs like Aspirin, Ibuprofen and Diclofenac have restricted during this ongoing Dengue – Chikungunya season.
- A dedicated Dengue control cell is functioning at the Directorate General of Health Services to conduct dengue-related measures.
- The mohalla clinics set up by the government have been prepared to deal with Dengue and Chikungunya cases.
- Delhi government has opened 355 ‘Fever Clinics’.
- As construction sites are very probable to breed mosquitoes, Delhi Govt has asked for Report on construction sites across the city from MCDs within 2 days along with what action has been taken against them.